Fixing recreation infrastructure isn't just critical to boaters, it's critical to the U.S. economy
Getting boaters out on the water is essential to the recreational boating industry’s success and doing so requires adequate, modernized, and climate resilient infrastructure.
As more Americans than ever before rediscover the benefits of the great outdoors – particularly the joy that comes with time spent on the water – the nation’s recreation access and infrastructure is experiencing rapid wear and tear and remains in need of renovation and expansion to keep up with demand and mitigate the impacts of climate change.
The historic $1.2 trillion Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act comes at an opportune time for the recreational boating community, though additional work remains to ensure the unique needs of the recreational boating community are accounted for.
Recreational boating is a major economic driver, requiring modern and resilient infrastructure.
- Support access to outdoor recreation for all by increasing funding for federally managed facilities and access points that support public boating access.
- Prioritize recreation access projects in the implementation of the Great American Outdoors Act by Land and Water Conservation Fund and maintenance backlog funding for boating infrastructure.
- Support private sector investments in resilient infrastructure through enacting the Providing Resources for Emergency Preparedness and Resilient Enterprises (PREPARE) Act.
- Reauthorize the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) to address critical recreation infrastructure needs, inclusive of the needs of the recreational boating industry including the development of climate resilient water infrastructure and coastlines.
- Establish incentives and resources for charging infrastructure to support the deployment of boats powered by next generation fuels and technologies.
One Pager | Pass the FAST Electricity Act
[645.2 Kb] One-pager outlining the Fueling America’s Security and Transportation with Electricity Act of 2021 (FAST Electricity Act), which incentivizes the development and use of zero emission transportation options, including recreational boats.
One Pager | Supporting Small Business Through Passage of the PREPARE Act
[637.24 Kb] A resource detailing the Providing Resources for Emergency Preparedness and Resilient Enterprises Act (PREPARE Act) and how passage would protect small business from natural disaster.
Letter | Industry Letter of Support for the PREPARE Act
[77.08 Kb] Boating industry stakeholders state support for legislation to invest in resilient infrastructure that supports boating access and marine businesses.
One Pager | Growing the Outdoor Recreation Economy by Supporting the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
[962.51 Kb] A resource detailing how Congress can better position the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) to boost the $788 billion outdoor recreation economy.
Letter | NMMA Letter of Support for Assistant Secretary of Army for Civil Works Michael Connor
[85.59 Kb] NMMA's letter of support for Assistant Secretary of the Army for Civil Works Michael Connor, following his Senate confirmation.