Boat Manufacturer Division (BMD)
Nearly 200 boat brands representing more than 85% of the boats sold in the U.S. recognize the value of NMMA Certification for their business and their customers. Promote your NMMA Certified boats through Discover Boating and join other industry stakeholders in support of the association’s efforts to protect and grow recreational boating through public policy advocacy and industry-focused growth initiatives.
Some of the benefits you will enjoy as an NMMA member are:
- Cost-savings, including 5–20% off consumer boat show and IBEX booth space rates
- Access to NMMA’s comprehensive library of industry statistics including exclusive reports
- Exclusive access to resources such as the boat and accessory warranty repair survey— a 50-state reference guide to laws and regulations governing warranty repair work
- Export development assistance through our partnership with the U.S. Department of Commerce
- Learn more about the benefits of NMMA membership by visiting our member benefits page.
Boat Manufacturer Division (BMD) dues are based on the total North American marine sales for your company’s most recently completed fiscal year. Click here to view the BMD dues schedule or reference Section II on the NMMA Membership Application.
To join NMMA’s Boat Manufacturer Division (BMD) your business must manufacture or import boats. BMD membership is also contingent on the following:
- Completion of the NMMA Certification program within 12 months of joining NMMA. NMMA Certification helps ensure your boats are built to applicable standards set by the American Boats & Yacht Council (ABYC), and promotes their compliance to the public. The annual cost to become certified ranges between $1,500 and $2,000.
- Support of the Discover Boating program through the Grow Boating membership fee. This fee is based on the horsepower of engines packaged with your boats and is billed separately.
If your business is based outside North America it must have a business presence in North America operating as a legally authorized sales office, importer, division, etc. Without a business presence in North America, an application for NMMA membership will not be considered.
Currently, 85% of all boats sold in the United States are produced by NMMA Certified boat manufacturing members. The NMMA Certification helps manufacturers ensure their boats are built to applicable standards set by the American Boats & Yacht Council (ABYC), and to promote their compliance to the consumer. Participating boat manufacturers must submit applications for all models; each model must be physically inspected by an NMMA inspector annually. To achieve Certification, a manufacturer must demonstrate that all variances found during the inspection have been corrected. Manufacturers of NMMA Certified boats benefit from:
- Assurance their boats meet the industry standards for the United States (ABYC Standards)
- A detailed hands-on inspection and verification process
- Improved consumer confidence
- Increased brand respect and awareness through Discover Boating
- Liability protection and product liability insurance discounts
Grow Boating Membership Fees
NMMA members support the Grow Boating Initiative through vision, leadership and financial contributions. The Grow Boating Engine Assessment is the primary funding tool. All NMMA Boat Manufacturer Division members are required to pay this assessment on the engines that are used in their boats.
Of the 5 million consumers to visit DiscoverBoating.com in our 2015, 2.8 million consumers clicked directly through to manufacturer sites from the Boat Selector section to shop on their own. In many cases DiscoverBoating.com is the #1 or #2 resource of web traffic to manufacturers sites, which can be measured by your own personal Google Analytics.
To join as a BMD member, please follow these 3 steps. For questions about BMD Membership or to set up a conference call to review program requirements, please contact Bryan Welsh, Director of Member Services or Robert Newsome, VP of Engineering Standards.