Boat Manufacturer Division (BMD)
Over 200 boat brands representing more than 85% of the boats sold in the U.S. recognize the value of NMMA Certification for their business and their customers. Promote your NMMA Certified boats through Discover Boating and join other industry stakeholders in support of the association’s efforts to protect and grow recreational boating through public policy advocacy and industry-focused growth initiatives.
Some of the benefits you will enjoy as an NMMA member are:
- Cost-savings, including 5–28% off consumer boat show and IBEX booth space rates
- Free access to NMMA’s comprehensive library of industry statistics including exclusive reports
- Exclusive access to the Marine Industry Retirement Plan, a multiple employee 401(k) plan
- One-on-one connection with NMMA's export development and coaching services
- Savings on UPS and other shipping services
- Complimentary trade credentials providing free access to all NMMA boat shows
- Learn more about the benefits of NMMA membership by visiting our member benefits page.
Boat Manufacturer Division (BMD) dues are based on the total North American marine sales for your company’s most recently completed fiscal year. CLICK HERE to view the BMD dues schedule or reference Section III (page 2) on the membership application.
To join NMMA’s Boat Manufacturer Division (BMD) your business must manufacture or import boats. BMD membership is also contingent on the following:
- Completion of the NMMA Certification program must be achieved prior to receiving member discounted booth space rates at NMMA boat shows or within 12 months from the start of membership. NMMA Certification helps ensure your boats are built to applicable standards set by the American Boats & Yacht Council (ABYC), and promotes their compliance to the public. The annual cost to become certified ranges between $1,500 and $2,000.
- Support of the Discover Boating program through the Grow Boating membership fee. This fee is based on the horsepower of engines packaged with your boats and is billed separately.
If your business is based outside North America it must have a business presence in North America operating as a legally authorized sales office, importer, division, etc. Without a business presence in North America, an application for NMMA membership will not be considered.
Currently, 85% of all boats sold in the United States are produced by NMMA Certified boat manufacturing members. The NMMA Certification helps manufacturers ensure their boats are built to applicable standards set by the American Boats & Yacht Council (ABYC), and to promote their compliance to the consumer. Participating boat manufacturers must submit applications for all models; each model must be physically inspected by an NMMA inspector annually. To achieve Certification, a manufacturer must demonstrate that all variances found during the inspection have been corrected. Manufacturers of NMMA Certified boats benefit from:
- Assurance their boats meet the industry standards for the United States (ABYC Standards)
- A detailed hands-on inspection and verification process
- Improved consumer confidence
- Increased brand respect and awareness through Discover Boating
- Liability protection and product liability insurance discounts
Grow Boating Membership Fees
The Grow Boating Engine Assessment is the primary funding tool which requires all NMMA boat manufacturer members to pay a small assessment on the engines installed on boats. The per engine fee ranges between $4.50 to a maximum of $50 for engines over 200hp with a two engine limit.
The Discover Boating program is a comprehensive national advertising and public relations campaign focused on getting more people on the water, attracting new demographics and younger first time boat buyers. By the end of 2024, the average age of a boat owner will be 60. In 2018, first time boat buyers made up 32% of all buyers which is down from 42% in 2000 – these are two trends the industry must reverse.
As for the direct benefit of participation, your brands would be listed on the Discover Boating Boat Finder Tool. Nearly 5 million consumers visit this industry resource annually generating around 2.7 million click-throughs directly to member manufacturer websites. In many cases, DiscoverBoating.com leads remain the #1 or #2 resource of organic web traffic to member sites which can be measured by Google Analytics.
To join NMMA Membership, complete the membership application and click the submit button on the last page, scan and email a copy to Bryan Welsh, Director, Member Services, or fax to 312.946.0401. Once the document is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email and the formal approval process will begin immediately.