As a member of NMMA, you will join other industry stakeholders in the success of the association’s collective effort to protect and grow recreational boating through public policy advocacy and a variety of growth initiatives.
All that we do at NMMA, including consumer boat shows and trade events, marketing the Discover Boating program, providing export counsel and international promotional opportunities, producing market research and statistics, and certifying marine products support those two core objectives.
NMMA works on your behalf to keep positive messages about the boating lifestyle in front of consumers in North America and to keep the needs of recreational boating top of mind with legislators and regulators at the federal and state level.
MEMBERSHIP HAS ITS BENEFITS - JOIN NMMA NOW
EXCLUSIVE PROTECTION - NMMA advocates to protect your marine business from costly regulation and legislation. Recent work includes:
- Model Year: NMMA worked with MRAA and the USCG to develop a framework for manufacturers dealers and regulators. The proposal includes a 14 month model year beginning June 1, with an exemption process for boats wishing to ship prior to June 1 (i.e. the larger vessels and new models). It will be a simple paper reporting process.
- Ethanol: NMMA is actively working with Members of Congress to reform the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) that places dangerous E15 fuel into the marketplace. High levels of ethanol damage marine engines and put consumers at risk. NMMA is also providing consumer education on how to avoid ethanol at the pump by partnering with the Outdoor Power Equipment Institute (OPEI) and supporting the Look Before You Pump campaign.
- Reauthorization of Magnuson Stevens Act/Morris Deal: NMMA, working closely with the recreational fishing industry, has helped develop a report outlining recommendations for Congress to consider during the next reauthorization for the improved management of recreational fisheries.
- BATSA: NMMA has worked to protect members from "creative" tax schemes developed by some states to generate tax revenues from businesses, including more vulnerable small businesses that have no physical presence in the taxing jurisdiction or state.
- Access Issues:
* Everglades - NMMA anticipates a revised general management plan to be released this summer. Based on our work with the Park Service over the past few years, we expect many of the proposed changes, including less pole and troll zones and more access channels to be included in a final plan.
* Biscayne National Park - NMMA has worked with the National Park Service over a number of years to ensure that access to park waters is protected. Following May meetings and conversations, NPS has unveiled an alternative plan, addressing many industry concerns. However, recently, NPS put the proposition of a marine reserve back on the table with extensive fishing closures. NMMA is once again working with NPS to propose a more balanced approach.
- Reauthorization of Sport Fish Restoration Trust Fund (Wallop-Breaux)
- CARB Evaporative Emissions Standard: After lengthy discussions, the California Air Resource Board (CARB) has agreed to develop a streamlined certification program using the American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) standards and NMMA certification process. NMMA Certified Boats will automatically gain allowance to sell boats in California.
- HFC-134a: NMMA worked to collect more than 100 public comments asking the EPA to delay a proposed ban of HFC-134a, a foam blowing agent used widely in the boat building process. NMMA will continue to work with the EPA towards a longer timeline, allowing the industry to develop alternatives through research.
Learn about all of the NMMA’s efforts to protect your business at our Government Relations Resource.
- Members save 5% to 20% on boat show space at NMMA Consumer Boat Shows and the International Boatbuilders' Exhibition and Conference (IBEX).
- Discounted credit card processing rate with no monthly hidden fees or minimums. Start saving with our exclusive NMMA partner TSYS Merchant Solutions.
- Freight Savings Discount Program—Over 200 NMMA members saved more than $200,000 in 2013 on deep discounts through select FedEx Express®, FedEx Ground® and FedEx Freight® services. How much can you save as a member of NMMA?
- Avis Member Benefits—Car rental discounts up to 20% and other exclusive services and promotions.
- Applied Power Purchasing International (APPI)—Save money on your electric expenses by having this exclusive provider analyze, negotiate, contract and manage your utility services.
- Staples Discount — Receive deep discounts on all Staples office supplies.
EXCLUSIVE INFORMATION - $500,000 Worth of Market Research & Statistics:
- U.S. Recreational Boating Abstract (retailing to non-members for $1,500) is the marine industry’s most complete collection of facts and figures. The 2013 edition includes an expanded section on marine accessories and consumer buying habits.
- Monthly Statistics Dashboard (retailing to non-members for $1,200 a year) outlines economic and industry factoids with trend data and charts.
- Boating Registration Report (retailing to non-members for $600) provides a detailed, state-by-state analysis of boating registrations by boat segment, size, power and hull material. Regional summaries include population, income, shoreline and inland water data.
- Canadian Recreational Boating Statistical Abstract (retailing to non-members for $950) is the most complete collection of facts and figures available for the marine industry in Canada.
- ICOMIA (International Council of Marine Industry Association) maintains a library with valuable information and data pertaining to the global leisure marine industry. In cooperation with ICOMIA, NMMA members have free access to this data.
- Members of NMMA receive daily e-communications through Currents on the U.S. economy including financial updates specific to marine manufacturers and important legislative and regulatory issues.
- Member pricing on advertising opportunities with NMMA to reach consumers and industry customers.
- Export Development coaching and access to markets through U.S. pavilions at international shows.
- Free access to the NMMA Member Roster information
- JobMart allows members to post openings and review qualified marine industry resumes
- Educational webinar series address topics and resources that will have a direct impact on your business operations ranging from maximizing Social Media to top selling secrets at boat shows
- PR University—address proactive and reactive public relations needs including tips for drafting press materials, selecting spokespeople, contacting reporters and addressing issues in the media.
- Downloadable NMMA Membership participation logo available in various production formats
- HR University—A free online HR resource providing white papers, template forms, statistics and tools to assist with all your Human Resource needs.
To learn more about NMMA and our membership program, simply send an email request directly to
JOIN NMMA NOW in 3 Easy Steps