The Total Industry Sales by Category and State section of the 2021 US Statistical abstract is now available. This section details recreational boat and marine engine retail sales data (unit sales, dollar value and average retail prices) and total recreational marine expenditures. After a historic year in 2020, boating remained one of most sought-after leisure activities for Americans. Data show total recreational marine expenditures reached a high of $56.7 billion in 2021, up 12.7 percent from 2020.
Additional key findings from the report include:
- Spending across every segment excluding outboard engines increased in 2021.
- Spending on new boats accounted for $20.8 billion of total marine expenditures, up 3.8 percent from 2020.
- Estimated recreational boat sales totaled 305,734 units in 2021, a decrease of 4.1 percent compared to the record setting numbers in 2020, and the second highest unit sales level since 2008.
- Florida, Texas, and Michigan were the top three states for marine expenditures in 2021.
Here’s the estimated release schedule for the remaining sections of the 2021 Abstract:
- Powerboat Sales Trends
- Cruiser, Watersport, Fishing Boat & Trailer Sales Trends
- Pre-Owned Boat Market
- Full Abstract digital copy
The 2021 boat registration section is a standalone report and will be available in Q4 2022.
NMMA members receive unlimited complimentary access to the digital versions of the annual U.S. Recreational Boating Statistical Abstract. Bookmark www.nmma.org/statistics/publications/statistical-abstract for direct and easy access. Members can also pre-order copies of the print version of the complete 2021 US Abstract.