CHICAGO – December 5, 2011 – The National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) today announced the launch of Fred’s Shed, bringing a new interactive educational experience to NMMA boat and sportshows for visitors interested in maintaining, repairing or upgrading their boats and engines. The new feature adds a component to shows for do-it-yourselfers and boat owners interested in an advanced level of learning.
“Educational and hands-on learning attractions contribute to making boat and sportshows must-attend events because we’re able to help boat owners and shoppers get a better feel for the complete ownership experience,” noted Ben Wold, executive vice president, NMMA. “Fred’s Shed helps us give boaters the confidence to talk shop with dealers, dispel myths associated with boat maintenance and upkeep, and enhance the fun and educational atmosphere at our shows.”
Free, daily seminars and talk-show format clinics at Fred’s Shed will cover a variety of topics, from fiberglass repair and fuel economy to installing marine electronics and general detailing. Fred’s Shed seminars and learning centers will be led by NMMA’s “The Boating Guy” (a.k.a. Keith Ammons a lifelong boater and angler) and Certified Marine Service Technician “Fred,” who bring more than 50 years of boating and ‘wrench-slinging’ experience to the Shed. Visitors will be able to observe a cutaway boat and motor, participate in hands-on clinics and interactive Q&A sessions.
2012 NMMA boat and sportshows featuring Fred’s Shed are:
· Progressive® Insurance New York Boat Show, New York, NY: January 4-8
· Progressive® Insurance Atlanta Boat Show, Atlanta, GA: January 12-15
· Progressive® Insurance Chicago Boat, Sports & RV Show, Chicago, IL: January 12-16
· Progressive® Insurance Kansas City Boat & Sportshow, Kansas City, MO: January 19-22
· Progressive® Insurance Minneapolis Boat Show, Minneapolis, MN: January 19-22
· Progressive® Insurance Louisville Boat, RV & Sportshow, Louisville, KY: January 25-29
· Progressive® Insurance Atlantic City Boat Show, Atlantic City, NJ: February 1-5
· Progressive® Insurance St. Louis Boat & Sportshow, St. Louis, MO: February 8-12
· Progressive® Insurance New England Boat Show, Boston, MA: February 11-19
· Progressive® Insurance Miami International Boat Show, Miami, FL: February 16-20
About NMMA: National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) is the leading association representing the recreational boating industry in North America. NMMA member companies produce more than 80 percent of the boats, engines, trailers, accessories and gear used by boaters and anglers throughout the U.S. and Canada. The association is dedicated to industry growth through programs in public policy advocacy, market statistics and research, product quality assurance and promotion of the boating lifestyle. For more information visit www.nmma.org.