The National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) is the nation’s leading trade association representing boat, marine engine and accessory manufacturers. Collectively, NMMA members manufacture an estimated 80 percent of marine products used in North America.
NMMA is a unifying force and powerful voice for the recreational boating industry, working to strengthen and grow boating and protect the interests of its member companies.
NMMA was formed in 1979 when the Boating Industry Association of Chicago (BIA) and the National Association of Engine & Boat Manufacturers of New York (NAEBM) merged. Roots of the non-profit association can be traced to 1904 when NAEBM was founded.
NMMA is dedicated to advocating for and promoting the strength of marine manufacturing, the sales and service networks of its members, and the boating lifestyle.
What We Do
NMMA programs and services are designed to serve the best interests of its members and the recreational boating industry. To that end, NMMA:
- Represents the industry on public policy issues, advocating at state and federal levels to protect the interests of the marine industry and the users of products
- Collects, analyzes and distributes industry, economic and market data; NMMA is the industry’s primary source of recreational boating research, statistics and technical data.
- Promotes recreational boating through consumer outreach
- Provide information/represent the industry’s interests to the media and other public entities.
- Produces boat and sport shows in key North American markets to provide quality sales venues for exhibitors and consumers
- Co-owns/produces the trade event IBEX (International BoatBuilders’ Exhibition and Conference) to generate business opportunities for marine companies
- Works to create opportunities overseas; offers information and services to help members expand into the global marketplace
- Maintains boat, trailer and oil certification programs to promote safety and help manufacturers produce quality products
- Assists the industry in continuously improving customer satisfaction with the purchase, delivery, product, use and after-sale experiences through CSI (Consumer Satisfaction Index)