MEDIA CONTACT: Kelly Kaylor, NMMA (email@example.com, 312.946.6262)
VIRGINIA KEY (February 11, 2016) – The National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) and Boating Writers International (BWI) announced today winners of the 2016 Progressive Insurance Miami International Boat Show Innovation Awards, presented during the annual Industry Breakfast at the Miami Beach Convention Center. This year’s program evaluated 77 products across 31 categories featuring an outstanding pool of entries. The judges ultimately selected 17 winners in 16 categories and three honorable mentions for a total of 20 honorees.
The 2016 Miami International Boat Show Innovation Award winners are:
- Boat Care and Maintenance: Glen Raven Custom Fabrics, Contour
- Center Console/ Walkaround Fishing Boats: Scout Boats, Inc., ForwardFIVE Performing Seating Station
- Consumer Electronics, Mobile Applications and Software – Dual Winners: Simrad-Navico, StructureScan 3D; FLIR Systems, Inc., AX8 Thermal Monitoring Camera
- Consumer Safety Equipment: Weems & Plath, SOS Distress Light
Honorable Mention: Spinlock USA, LumeOn Lifejacket Illumination
- Cuddy Cabin and Bowrider Boats: Bayliner Marine Corporation, VR5 Runabout
- Deck Equipment: Premier Marine, Inc., Ricochet Ladder
Honorable Mention: Anchor & Docking, Inc., Anchor Turner Kit
- Docking and Fendering Equipment: Bellingham Marine Ind., Inc., Portable Floating Timber Dock System
- Electric Motor/ Battery Powered Propulsion: Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics, Inc., Minn Kota Riptide Ulterra electric trolling motor
- Fishing Equipment, Gear & Tackle: Taco Metals, Inc., Carbon Fiber Outrigger Poles
- Furnishings & Interior Parts: Westhead Group, Flexima Nautic
- Jet Boats: BRP U.S. Inc., Intelligent Shift and Throttle
- Mechanical & Electrical Systems: Indmar Products Co., Inc., Strainer Pro
- Outboard Engines: Seven Marine, LLC, 627 SpectraBlade
- Personal Gear, Soft Goods: Grundens USA, Breakwater Pants
Honorable Mention: Gill North America, Ltd., FG2 Tournament Jacket
- Personal Watercrafts: Yamaha WaterCraft Group Company, TR-1 Marine High Output Engine
- Pontoon Boats: Premier Marine, Inc., Dodici
The Innovation Awards judging committee is comprised of BWI members who perform product testing throughout the year and have specific expertise in marine products and equipment. The committee is co-chaired by Zuzana Prochazka and Alan Wendt. Prochazka is a boating and travel journalist and photographer who has been in the marine industry for two decades. She regularly writes for a dozen magazines including SEA, SAIL, Bluewater Sailing and Southern Boating. Wendt is president of Boating Writers International and has served as a judge for more than 15 years.
The judging committee includes:
- Frank Lanier: An author and award-winning journalist, his articles on seamanship, marine equipment reviews and vessel maintenance appear regularly in numerous marine publications worldwide.
- Marilyn Mower: Past editor of ShowBoats International, Southern Boating and the Marine Business Journal magazines and currents Books Editor for Boat International Media producing annual editions of The Superyachts, Megayachts: Concept, Design, Construction and Refit.
- Lenny Rudow: Senior Editor for Dominion Marine Media and Electronics Editor for BoatUS Magazine, and Boating Editor for Texas Fish & Game.
- Lawrence Husick: Patent attorney, entrepreneur, freelance writer for several boating publications, and life-long cruising sailor. He has worked with innovators in the marine industry as both counsel and consultant, and frequently speaks to audiences about new technologies afloat.
- Nigel Calder: Well-known industry author and Technical Editor or an Associate Editor of PassageMaker, Professional Boatbuilder, Sail, Ocean Navigator and Yachting Monthly magazines and a freelance consultant on marine energy issues.
- Gary Reich: Editor at large for Chesapeake Bay Magazine and regularly published in periodicals such as Soundings, PassageMaker, Chesapeake Bay, and Lakeland Boating magazines, and online at boats.com and boattrader.com.
Innovation Awards recognize exceptionally innovative new consumer marine products, and will be on display throughout the show, February 11-15, at Miami Marine Stadium Park and Basin.
# # #
About NMMA: The National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) is the leading association for the North American recreational boating industry. NMMA member companies produce more than 80 percent of the boats, engines, trailers, accessories and gear used by boaters in North America. The association is dedicated to industry growth through programs in public policy advocacy, market statistics and research, product quality assurance and promotion of the boating lifestyle. Learn more at www.nmma.org.